WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Dinner and a Show in Hangzhou

(Abby)

We're starting to get into a rhythm here in Hangzhou. Nik, Ola and I have completed a five-day school week with our host families, with whom we’ve become more or less comfortable living. I’ve become close to my host sister, Rich, because of her straightforward personality and her superb English skills. While her, as well as her classmate’s, English skills are great, they sometimes make it a hard to practice my Chinese because these students are so eager to practice their English with a native speaker. I’m learning to balance using English with them in return for Chinese lessons in return. My host parents are also using more Chinese with me by telling me what certain words mean in Chinglish, which I appreciate very much.

Since it was Friday, my host family took me out to a dinner performance after school. We were joined by two other families, all of which knew each other because all the dads were classmates in college. It was also one's 45th birthday, which my host dad kept reminding him of because 45 means you’ve officially become middle aged. Dish after dish of roast chicken, steamed whole shrimp, sautéed mushrooms and duck atop glutinous fried rice began to decorate the Lazy Susan in the middle of the table. I also tried corn milk, which I probably won’t be indulging in again.

The performance part of the night consisted of a face changing opera. Our party of people stood atop a balcony that overlooked the ground floor of the dining area where a small stage was set for the performance. A man dressed in Chinese theatre robes descended the stairs behind us and dynamically and dramatically preformed a dance to the rhythm of some upbeat version of a Chinese folksong. During many points in the performance, the man would blink or hide his face behind a fan only to reappear with a new paper-like mask covering his face. Towards the end of the performance, he ran up the stairs to shake hands with Rich and me as well as gesture for me to put my hand on his covered face. The second I did, the mask changed from yellow to red and the man was off again to make his ending pose in time.

The evening lasted well into the night. The dads all had a few drinks and none of the mothers were comfortable driving through the traffic, so drivers were called to the restaurant to drive the families and their cars home. I had never heard of such a service before, but I thought it was nice that this option is available and easily accessible to avoid drinking and driving. I was reminded of when I asked Alisha, our tour guide in Xi’an, about drunk driving rates in China, to which I was just told that drinking and driving is not allowed. Mrs. Li then followed up with me saying that China's roads are barely navigable sober, so an intoxicated driver would not make it very far anyways. I laughed at the trueness of the statement.

I cannot stress again how nice everyone has been at this school. Students are eager to talk with us and are genuinely interested in our passions and lives. Many of our translators often show up to our classroom on days that they aren’t assigned to us and ask about colleges and if there’s anything they can do to help their decision processes. Seven seniors showed up on Friday and listened to all of us talk about colleges (as well as Mrs. Li’s lesson on Hamlet). What surprised us most was that most of these kids applied to 14 schools, yet have not visited with a guidance counselor specifically for the American college application process in or outside of school. They are just now asking about what last minute things they can do to aid their application processes or get themselves off of waitlists. The problem we’ve all noticed is that these students are all applying to the same schools (most are applying to Boston College and Boston University to name two) yet don’t realize the competition they are going up against as being international students from China. I will stop this college discussion here because I believe Ola, Nik, or Mrs. Li will pick up on the subject in later blog posts.

~Zaijian for now!

5 comments:

Lily N. said...

Hi Abby!
I think it's amazing how immersed you have been able to become in the culture around where you are staying. It seems like an incredible opportunity to be in this program. I was surprised to here that so many Chinese students were applying for American colleges... do they go through the same application process as we do or do they have to do it differently because they are applying from outside the country? I really enjoyed reading your blog, and it sounds like you're having a lot of fun!

Emma Lesser said...

Hi Abby! It sounds like you are having a good time with your host family.​ The dinner that you had sounds amazing and delicious, except for the corn milk. Have you been trying a lot of traditional Chinese foods? Also the performance you went to sounds like it must have been very entertaining. It must be cool to be immersed in the Chinese culture and experience the language (even though you are still using some English). The service of having drivers take families home from restaurants makes a lot of sense - the roads could be really dangerous otherwise. Your blog posts have been interesting and enjoyable to read - thanks! I hope you continue to have a good trip!

Anna K. said...

Hi Abby!
It sounds as if you're having a wonderful time and the cultural experiences that you describe sound incredible! How nice of you're host family to take you out to that opera show and their family birthday party. Also, I can relate to the kids wanting to practice their english skills on you from doing the same to the french kids at my camp! Regardless, it must be nice to put to good use your Chinese speaking skills now that you're there! I cannot wait to here of the rest of your travels as you continue on this amazing exchange program!
-Anna

Barrett L said...

Hi Abby!
It is your cousin Barrett. We are studying China right now in History class with Ms. Viz. I have really enjoyed reading your blog. It sounds like this experience is amazing. It must be cool to put your Chinese speaking to use, but that's funny that they want to practice their English skills. It's also fascinating about the college application observation. I hope you continue to have a great trip.
-Barrett

Maggie G said...

Hi Abby,
The performance sounded amazing it must have been very wonderful to go to see that, and get so close to one of the actors. It's also very strange to think that having/ hireing "drivers" in China is so normal. Its so funny how everybody is so eager to talk to you in english. I'm also very impressed, I don't think that I could focus on AP English or Hamlet when Im in such a new and beautiful place. I'm looking forward to read more interesting stories and experiences. Hope you are having tons of fun!