WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Hangzhou Happenings

(Ola)

Now that we've been in Hangzhou for a few days, we are starting to get our bearings. In the mornings, I bike to school with my host sister. Although the roads are slightly calmer than those in Beijing or Xi'an, it's not by a lot. On our first day of biking, I faced what I thought was an immediate death at least 8 times during a 25 minute ride. I've come to realize that a public bus will never actually hit you, it will just pass you by a few centimeters. As for walking, the best method is to stick with the locals. What I usually do is I wait till I see a group of young adults and I just fall in step with them. There have been times when opposed to covertly following a couple across the street, I consider just linking arms with them or hopping on someone's back and being carried across.

Since moving in with our host families, our home sickness has definitely increased. There's a weird feeling that comes with being in a home that's not your own. It's an ever pervasive loneliness even though there are people around whose home you've invaded. However, I'm sure that it will get better with time.

The kids at the school are great but definitely not the students that I was expecting. We're always told that Chinese students sit quietly, always keeping their eyes trained on the teacher, and obediently doing whatever they're told. It's all a lie. After sitting in the back row ten minutes, I came to the conclusion that these were the rowdiest students I had ever laid eyes upon. Turning their backs to the teacher, they converse freely, make no effort to conceal passing notes, and at times (if lucky), one might even see them running around and tackling each other. These 16 year olds are a teacher's greatest delight! Their behavior was surprising but judging by their coursework, they are extremely smart. I sat in AP Calculus, a class taught in English, and could not comprehend anything. In my defense, I've never taken calculus.

It's been interesting to hear about the stereotypes that the Chinese have about Americans. My host sister asked me if people eat rice in the US. When I replied "yes," she stated that it probably tastes different from Chinese rice. In return, I felt the need to spit some truth so I shared my knowledge by letting her know that "rice is rice." Also, everyone I meet thinks I'm some kind of vagabond who doesn't attend school and spends her time moseying down alleyways. When I inform people that like them, I too stay up late doing homework, they usually look like they're about to faint from shock.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It sounds like you guys are having tons of fun over there. I find it interesting how wrong the stereotypes about the students in China are. How accurate are the stereotypes about us? Do the kids in China think that the students in the U.S. are stupid? It seemed that way. Keep the great posts coming it, I cant wait to read more!

Winnie M said...

Hi Ola! This is such a great post. It is so fun to hear about all of your adventures and I am so glad that you are having such a great time. I'm sorry you're homesick; it will get better! I miss you and hope you have an amazing rest of your trip. I can't wait to see you when you return!

Paige G said...

Hi Ola!
I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying your travels!!(But am sorry that you are home sick ) I can't wait to see you when you get home! When I read your post I was surprised that the students in China are not always focused! That is a stereotype that I believed. DS misses you lots but we can't wait to hear more about your trip!
From, Paige G

Olivia A. said...

Hey Ola,
I can't imagine biking with such conditions as in China! I too would be scared, especially when a bus comes that close to you while you try to bike around the busy streets. It's interesting how the typical "perfect Chinese student" stereotype is wrong. Americans, myself included, have come to this idea that, as you said, Chinese students show the upmost respect for their teachers, sit as still as statues, and never converse with each other. Wow- we must have been wrong. It's funny what the Chinese think of us Americans, but then again, Americans have stereotypes for Chinese. I did not know that Chinese students thought of American students as, well, not students.
Anyway, it seems like your having a great time in China. Have fun and safe travels!

Ricky C. said...

This was a great read! My brother has been traveling in Tibet,Nepal, and India and had similar experiences with traffic. He did the same thing that you did and stayed close to locals while crossing the road. Seems like they need better law enforcement on the roads in Asia.

Annie L said...

Ha ha, I've had the exact same fear of crashing when I was in a taxi in Xi'an and we told the guy we were running late. He just about almost ran over several pedestrians and neared crashing at least 3 times. I've asked my cousin if car crashes are frequent in such a hectic commute tradition, and he said that people just know what they're doing. I wouldn't put all my faith on that though, lol

Ricky C. said...

This was a great read! My brother has been traveling in Tibet, Nepal, India and has had similar experiences with traffic. He did the same thing that you would and stuck with locals when crossing the road. Looks like they need better law enforcement on the roads in Asia. (this may be a repeat I can't tell if my original comment was posted)

Issy F said...

Wow! That's really funny that the kids don't actually pay attention often but still manage to get good grades...that must of been an entertaining class! Your days sound crazy but it seems you're having fun, so continue to do so!

Megan Morrissey said...

Sounds like your having fun! I love your story about how you try to stay with the locals, I would probably do that as well in a new country. It was interesting to read about how the Chinese students that you are going to school with are very rowdy. It's funny to think how we assume that Chinese students are all very focused on their academics. Also, it was interesting to read about the stereotypes that the Chinese have about Americans. I thought it was funny how they couldn't believe that you were working on homework so late at night! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Mariam S. said...

Hi Ola,
It sounds like you are having a lot of fun! I found the stereotypes really interesting, do they have any other crazy stereotypes about us Americans? Is china how you imagined it would be? Have a great rest of your trip!

Julia M said...

This is such an interesting read! The stereotypes you mentioned regarding Americans totally surprised me and its weird to think that they make assumptions about us. Did they have any other ridiculous stereotypes about us? Have fun on your trip and I look forward to reading more!

Hannah Lothrop said...

Hi Ola! Sounds like your having a lot of fun. Its interesting what you said about the students behavior. From what I hear about students there is that they are trained to pay attention and just listen to the teacher. But I guess they have assumptions about what we are like here too. Very good idea to stay with the locals, the always know what to do! Hope you are having fun!