WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Kunming to Lijiang - and hotel woes!

(Ms. Arkin)

After arriving in Kunming (where the airport employees spoke minimal to no English), we had to switch planes to get to Lijiang. The signs are mostly in Chinese and the individual boarding areas have no visuals - not even to confirm that you are at the correct gate. Anyhow, there was a sign in the main terminal lobby that said “Flight 5818” to Lijiang was at 6:35pm, when our itinerary said it wasn’t leaving until 8:05pm. We panicked as it was already 6:20pm and the airport was mayhem with travelers. Thankfully, a Chinese man who spoke English explained to us that the “6:35” time reflected the “check-in time” and that our flight did indeed leave at 8:05. What a relief! So we joined the crowded, unruly line and waited. By the time we got our boarding passes and through security, we realized there was no where to eat in that end of the airport (without going back through security), so we dined on packaged goods – water, cookies and crackers. Steven was pre-occupied the entire time with a puzzle book and Molly was still reading the “Painted Veil” which I can’t wait for her to finish so I can read it, too.

Needless to say, when we got to Lijiang we were exhausted! Our new guide, Danny, was there with the sign and he was very enthusiastic and welcoming. He is one of about 50 guides in Lijiang who speak English. He was very modest about his English speaking skills and explained to us that he would be talking to us in ‘Chinglish”. On the contrary, his English was quite good.

We checked into the Royal Lijiang Hotel which was perhaps a few notches less than royal. The lock to my room did not work, so I called the front desk. A woman with a very abrasive, unprofessional approach (wearing black tights, high boots and a purple sweater with a fluffy, boa-like collar) came tearing down the hallway wanting to know what the problem was with the door. I was not sure what to make of her as I would typically expect a person in a hotel uniform to respond. With some hesitation, I showed her the lock and she said, “Oh yes. Broken. I call. We fix”. Within seconds two men were in my room with the door closed (with me still inside) taking out tool boxes and trying to fix the lock. I had no idea how long the process of fixing the lock would take (efficiency is not always a priority here) so I asked if I could have a new room. The woman at the front desk said they could move me to room 306. Well. Room 306 had the windows wide open and no working lights. I stumbled in the dark trying to find the light switches. Finally I found a dial next to the bed and was able to get something dimly turned on. The room was sparser than the original one, yet it had the added accompaniment of blaring music from the restaurant next door. I asked if they fixed the lock yet, so they could send me back to the first room. I think the front desk girls were annoyed with me……

Anyhow, now I am in the original room with a fixed lock. It is quiet and I have lights and blankets, but the toilet is broken. I fixed it myself, but I think if I flush it again it might overflow.

I am experiencing the woes of traveling.