WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

"Ni Hao" goes a long way ...

(Ms. Arkin)

“Ni Hao” really goes a long way. Whenever I see people and they look at me sternly, I just say in my best pronunciation possible, “Ni Hao” and their facial expressions soften immediately. They say, “Ni Hao” or “Hello” or even start a conversation with me. Sometimes people try to start a conversation with me in Chinese and then I just say “Wo bu mingbai” ( I don’t understand) and they laugh and smile warmly. I think just the effort of saying hello to people in their own language is appreciated.

Today was my first day by myself in Hangzhou. It is strange to suddenly switch from non-stop activities to all of a sudden being on my own! I like being by myself though, so I enjoy the opportunity and challenge of exploring a foreign city on my own. I am still trying to get my bearings and figure out what is around me (shops, restaurants, cafes, etc.) and how to get there (and back). For those who know me, you know that my sense of direction is somewhat compromised - to put it mildly. I wish I could implant a GPS system into my brain so I wouldn’t get lost so much. Actually, today I did not get lost at all, but I’ll admit I was not very daring in my ventures. I remember when I was in Bangkok two summers ago and it took me three days of solo venturing to get up the courage to take a motorcycle taxi. But after 2 weeks there, I was perfectly comfortable taking taxis and the subway and somehow making myself understood. I am sure I just need a little more time in Hangzhou to feel the same way. Although, it seems there was much more English spoken and written in Thailand. Here, very little is written in English (signs, maps, menus, etc.) except numbers. Anyhow, I am getting sidetracked.

I made my way out of the apartment around 11:30am. It was nice finally being able to sleep lateJ. No matter what time zone I am in, or how hard I try to overcome this, I will never be a morning person. I am entirely sure of it. Anyhow, I explored the “warehouse” marketplace across the street from the school where they have all sorts of stuff from functional clothing to souvenirs to household supplies. Of course, you need to bargain and I really wasn’t in the mood. I find it hard to bargain when things are less than a dollar to begin with. But I also know they see a westerner and quote me a price 3 times the regular price. It is annoying that they don’t put price tags on the merchandise so that it would it at least level the playing field from which to start!

After my marketplace adventure I walked around a few blocks and found a bakery that I liked (made a mental of note of how to get there). Then I went to school to get my bike (which I left there yesterday after the field trip) and went for a long bike ride. I decided to try to find the big grocery store that Rose took me to, so I could get some more diet coke and also be comforted in the fact that I could get there on my own. It was much quicker on the bike. I found a drug store which I didn’t go into, but think might be the place for the headache pills.