WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Twelve Days and Counting ... Reflections

(Cady)

Hello one and all,

Twelve days. We have only TWELVE days left in China. That thought is absolutely astounding to me. That's less than two weeks! It's funny because the time has gone by so incredibly fast, while the same time, I feel like I've been in Hangzhou for ages- like I've known some of the people here for years. I was thinking about the whole China experience today, and I'm just as sure as ever that I have no regrets. Although I missed the musical and two months of senior year, I wouldn't trade the time I've spent in China for even the most perfect two months I could have ever experienced at Dover-Sherborn. That's not to say anything against DS. What I mean is that I (and I think that others would agree) have had such a truly profound experience on this exchange. Sure, we've had our ups and downs, but throughout our trip in this crazy country, we've learned a whole lot about our crazy selves. Am I sounding sappy yet? I think we've all, at the very least, learned how to stretch and adapt when put into new surroundings. I've found that, more and more, I am able to brush things off and just laugh at myself. Even if I'm in a bad mood, I am much more able to smile and be friendly to everyone (which usually ends up making me genuinely happy). I guess what I'm really saying is that interacting with the people of China- guides, teachers, students, host brothers and sisters- has ended up warping me for the better. I'm not crying "epiphany!" or "self-evolution!" I'm simply noticing that I'm the same, old Cady with some slight alterations, maybe a few improved traits, and a bit more world experience. Maybe it's just me, but I think that's pretty cool.

Anyways, back to life in Hangzhou. I've fallen into a good routine with my new family- up at 6:20, ready to eat by 6:40, finish breakfast and hit the road by about 6:55. That, by the way, is very impressive when compared to my mornings back in Dover where I don't generally rise or shine until about 6:50. Doris lives a lot farther from the school than Eve did. At first I was a bit dismayed to find out that I would be taking the bus home after school. These are not school buses, mind you, these are public city buses which tend to be jam-packed at that hour. I've gotten used to it though, as with all things, and don't find the rides very irritating or unpleasant. This morning we had Chinese first with Gao Li. We were all a bit skeptical, seeing as how we spent the entirety of our last class learning the Chinese translation of Captain, O my Captain by Walt Whitman. Don't get me wrong- it's a great poem. Learning it in Chinese was a bit tedious and exhausting though, so naturally we wondered what today would bring. Another poem! Only five lines though, about cherry blossoms in the spring. It was entirely appropriate because Hanggao is having a "literature festival" on Sunday to celebrate the blooming cherry trees. So, we spent part of class learning the poem, and part of it outside by the actual cherry trees reading the poem TO them. It was all well and good, and the class only lasted half a period because our teacher had to go prepare for said festival. Actually, the students here have some really cool traditions that correspond with the blooming of the cherry blossoms. Everyone writes his or her wish on a piece of colorful paper and they all get tied to the trees around the cherry trees while the flowers are in bloom. It's supposed to be good luck, and I suppose if you're super lucky then your wish will come true!

After Chinese we had Calligraphy with one of our favorites, Mr. Yang! We were working on our "masterpieces," as Baker says. Yang Laoshi wrote out four characters for each of us to learn and write out on nice, white calligraphy paper. Naturally we were all incredibly intimidated. I got the most difficult set (yikes!) which translated into Chinese-American friendship. Em's was something about a beautiful mountain. Drew's was "sun and moon shine brightly in the sky" and Nicks meant roughly "a thousand mountains, ten thousand rivers." Basically they were all little sayings that are made with particularly beautiful characters. I'm not sure that we always do the characters justice. But hey, we try. After Calligraphy was lunch. Yum. Then English corner. Yay. Then class where I journaled and pondered much of what I wrote about in my first paragraph of this entry.

During our second period of the afternoon, Drew and I went to help out Terry with one of her English class "presentations." Generally we get up in front of a class, talk for a long time about Dover-Sherborn, the college process in America, our families, things like that, and then take a few questions from those who are brave enough to ask. We were lecturing a particularly giddy and outgoing class today though, and the questions started coming right away. It ended up being a lot of fun because the group was so enthusiastic. What is your town like? Do you have buildings as tall as in Hangzhou? We've heard that Americans don't really get homework, so what do you do after school? (we try to kill THAT rumor as much as possible). Those are just some examples of questions asked. Very successful presentation, I'd say. After that, Drew and I went to the gym to join my PE class. Everyone had to practice badminton techniques, except for us foreign kids (me and Drew) who were allowed to just play a game on one of the nets. Twas a vicious match. I've found that I have greatly improved in the area of badminton from when I first arrived in China (see!? personal improvements!). After that was the period during which everyone goes to whatever club they belong to. All of Team China ended up going to the English Club that just watches "Friends" every Thursday. Good stuff! Derek, my English teacher, is having his students do scenes from the million pound bank note. So, he has made Nick and I actors in this little production that we are apparently performing next Wednesday. We had a meeting with him and the other students in the "play" after school today. We're practicing tomorrow after lunch!

Well, that about sums up today. We're quite excited because our dresses and vests should be ready tomorrow! I think the most important thing at this point is to enjoy our final week in Hangzhou. Ohh, it's Ella's birthday on Monday, so for anyone who remembers her- don't forget to send a HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELLA on facebook! See everyone soon.

No comments: