WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wednesday: Tailored to Please!

(Ms. Luskin)

My day proved to be quite a departure from our usual Wednesday…

I’d been asked to speak to Hu Kun Lin’s (William’s) year-two English classes during the first two periods, so I knew that I’d miss the early class for Team China today. I’ve really enjoyed chatting with these classes, and find they quite enjoy a mixture of stories about America interspersed with my responses to questions that they are brave enough to ask eventually. These young people hang from every word when I talk about student life at DS: class length (long); lunch time (appallingly short!); passing time (almost unthinkable, since the kids here stay in the same classroom for most of the day, but do expect their customary 15 minutes free between classes!); the wide variety of club and sports activities (astonishing!). Every classroom has had its own topics of interest, but student dating, the upcoming Presidential election, and US university admissions are recurrent themes. All the students are remarkably attentive; I’d anticipated a polite lack of yawns, but these kids are completely engaged in what we Americans have to say! (After lunch yesterday, Team China accompanied me in pairs to speak with two eleventh-grade classes, which changed the classroom dynamic quite a bit!)

Overhead projectors here are “old technology” now, and rarely have worked in the classrooms I’ve visited, so while one of my photos zigzags down the left aisle, a similar photo makes its way down the right aisle. Eventually, the pictures travel forward again, while kids chuckle and point out this-and-that in the pictures. Fun to see them relax from their earnestness, too!

After the English classes, I headed back to the English office to drop off my photos, only to find that my box from the States had arrived at long last, more than five weeks after it was shipped! Naichuan has been bickering with Customs, who wished to charge a goodly amount of additional duty on this package, so I was delighted to find out that he’d prevailed upon them to knock the price down considerably. (Who knew you could bargain with a government??) With Cui Hongxiang’s (Helen’s) help, and to my unending relief, I unpacked the box and brought a load of gifts safely to my apartment around the corner. (I’d been a bit tormented by nightmares of the box remaining in limbo while we headed home, bereft of American thank-you gifts to share with our friends here!) This happy task took us right up to lunch time; in our lunch room: the familiar wide variety of food, the familiar visit from our chef, the familiar chatter of all the young folk. As the kids headed to English Corner and I ran off to get a bit of emailing done, we agreed to meet at 2:00, since Cui Hongxiang had volunteered to take us silk shopping. Woohoo!

If you’ve ever seen last year’s blog, I’ll tell you that our experience was quite the same. At the silk warehouse, there were numerous samples from which to choose, but many colorways of a pattern proved not to be in stock. In the end, people winnowed their preferences down to one each: a silvery-grey-and-white happiness symbol for Drew, a classic ink-blue dragon fabric for Nick, a lovely green tone-on-tone pattern that haunted Cady through several compare-and-contrast pairings, and a stunning plum blossom (in plum!) with a gunmetal background for Emily – oh, and a peacock blue plum blossom pattern for me. Next, we trekked off to the marketplace across the street from school for lining fabric, and then found that our tailor happened to be in her shop there as we passed by, so the measuring began! We don’t yet know the timing for delivery, but soon enough, the guys will have their vests and we womenfolk our dresses, each with of the details we requested from out tailor. Look out, prom night, here comes Team China!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ni Hao, team China!
I just stumbled upon this blog and it seems like you are all having a fantastic time. Everything you are experiencing now reminds me of all that happened when I was on the trip... 4 years ago! I went back again to China last year for 6 months, but nothing compares with that special, crazy time at HZGJZX. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that I'm super jealous of you all since I'm stuck here back in the US (and at Ms. Luskin's alma mater, Smith College, no less). Have a great time with the rest of your trip, and say hello to Hangzhou for me!

Julia S., D-S '04