WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Bargaining: A New Skill to Learn


(Deanna)

Good day to those near and far!

My host sister Serenity and I headed off to school where I went to the usual room of 209. We had handiwork class where we made whistles out of bamboo with our names on it! I was excited because I had never made a whistle before and it was even cooler to be able to have my name engraved on the whistle via laser. While waiting for our whistles to be engraved, Apple showed us a song by Team H (Apple is a really big fan), which it was possible that we spotted Team H in Shanghai.



 After Handiwork class, I was seriously hungry and we all devoured our lunches. We walked over to English Corner where the people were sparse but those who came were eager to learn about SAT’s and our friend Starry came and gave me a small jar filled with little paper stars she made herself, there were 155 stars in the jar and 6 of them had the letters of my name written on them. Starry’s kindness went unnoticed and she and I talked about our favourite things and she tried to show me how to make the stars but to no avail.

Once English Corner finished, Helen, our trusted silk bargainer and teacher at Hanggao took us to the Silk Market Street where we all sought out gifts for family members. We browsed at several stores before seeing a store with beautiful two-colour scarves that we all really wanted to get a few for different people. Helen bartered for probably 30 minutes before getting the price down significantly (we were all extremely impressed by this process). Everyone got scarves for their family members except me at that point in which we proceeded to another store where Helen knew the shop owners who gave us a proper price, I ended up getting two silk scarves for my grandmothers. We walked back to the school to meet up with our host siblings before going home.

In arriving home, my host dad was cooking up some delicious food and Serenity and I went to our rooms to do some homework and soon enough dinner was ready! We ate ground pork with egg, braised beef with potatoes, fried fish, spinach and green beans with rice. Everything was rich with flavour and we ate some kumquats after dinner. In writing this post, my host mum brought me up some tea that makes for a great evening.

Until next time!

 Deanna M. Biddy

No comments: