WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Happy Birthday to Me!!

What a wonderful couple of days!! Though I usually enjoy my birthday I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of warm greetings from the students, staff and teachers here in Hangzhou. (And of course by my three great DSHS students!) 

This was due in part, of course, to the information in my presentations to the Chinese English classes. In my presentation to the Chinese students I introduced myself, my family, favorite activities plus my educational and work background. I also included my birthdate in one of the slides partly to help them practice saying dates in English and also so that they’d realize that I was still working at an age when most Chinese women are expected to have retired and be at home with grandchildren (or dancing in the streets - but more about that later.). 

Anyhow, what I hadn't really contemplated was that in teaching over 1200 students that meant that they were all aware that my birthday was on Saturday! All over campus I received birthday greetings and at English Corner a group of students arrived with hand-written cards. The biggest treat was arriving for our Friday afternoon cooking class to find that the school had arranged a surprise party for me complete with balloons, a Birthday Girl crown and a beautiful cake made of a sort of angel food cake, cream filling, mangoes, pineapples and another fruit like a small tart apple.

Cards and presents followed including a flash drive for future presentations, an ancient coin, a traditional red cloth bowl which collapses flat, lovely journals, a book of poetry (in Chinese) and book marks in the shape of a Song Dynasty string instrument called a gu zheng. The funniest present had to be the one from the high school administration - an ornately carved ruler which was used in a previous dynasty to discipline students. After the “Western” birthday, the chef brought out a special noodle soup only eaten at birthdays. The very long noodles are thought to bring longevity and good fortune. The chef also presented me with 2 roses….which upon closer examination turned out to be ornately carved carrots!! 

The next day the students and I joined two teachers for a trip to the Xi Xi Wetlands on the western edge of the city. It consists of almost 2,900 acres of wetland - over 70% of which is water of some sort (eg. pools, a lake, and six “rivers” which wend their way through the area.) We walked through one of the more landscaped areas along nicely laid out paths passing a variety of ancient buildings and garden relics. It was a typical early Spring day with flowers (both wild and planted), flowering trees and bushes in various stages of blossom. Later we boarded traditional river boats and were oared along the waterways. Though it drizzled a bit it really didn’t matter. I loved being outdoors and seeing the different plants and birds. (At one turn in the river a white crane soared off in the distance.) 

Dinner followed in a charming restaurant within the park. The students purchased a lovely cake in the city so we had another celebration. It was made extra special as we discovered it was also the school driver, Mr. Han’s birthday! He has accompanied us on most of our weekend excursions and though he doesn’t speak English I’ve enjoyed his company, sense of humor and CD collection for our drives. 

It was a great way to celebrate and one I will never forget.

No comments: