WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Happy 18th Birthday in Hangzhou!

Iona
Ni hao! I was lucky enough to celebrate my eighteenth birthday in Hangzhou yesterday, and it was a quite a unique day! I felt loved and celebrated the entire day, from both my family in America but also my new family in China :).

I started off the day with a few birthday FaceTime calls and then at school, I got so many birthday wishes throughout the day. Students and teachers made an effort to communicate their birthday wishes which was so nice of them. After our classes in the morning, I went to the cafeteria with the Sisterhood to find that Mr. Bacon (our chef) had prepared a birthday meal for me! Yiran and Irene (our friends who are also our english translators) had set up balloons that spelled out “Happy Birthday” on the wall, and our host siblings came to eat with us, as well as the teachers that are involved in the exchange programme. Yiran and Irene bought me gifts, as did the teachers! I got an assortment of bookmarks, hair clips, earrings, and even a large tea cup. It was so thoughtful of everyone to have gotten me gifts. After lunch, we had gym class and it was so beautiful outside that the class went to be active in the good weather. I, however, was still recovering from sickness so I stayed out of the sun, and out of the extreme heat for the afternoon. After we finished school, Kelbs, Liz, Yiran, Mrs. Waterman and I walked back to Peter’s house, where Peter’s parents had come home early from work to cook me a birthday meal! It was so sweet of them and I had a great evening that was spent with great friends and great food. I got two birthday cakes! Two sets of wishes!

I had known that I was going to be passing my eighteenth birthday in China for a while now, and I am so excited about the story I now get to share. When I turned eighteen, I had been living in China as a result of being a student on my school’s exchange trip. How cool!

No comments: