WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Let’s Go!

Kelby
It’s confirmed. My host family does not sleep. This past weekend was a true testimony to such a statement.

Henry’s mother is a force to be reckoned with. I never knew a woman less than five feet tall could conquer the world in the way that she has. With every corner we turn we seem to be making a new friend. Anyway, this force I speak of willed me, Mrs. Waterman, and Henry to a mountain range (Yellow Mountains) three hours from Hangzhou. Saturday afternoon, we hop in the Jeep, drive to the mountains, and mentally prepare ourselves for the day ahead of us. That is where our journey begins.

Our day began at six o’clock on Sunday morning. I struggle out of my bed, tiredly moving myself towards the bathroom to wash up and get ready. Seeing that we were in the mountains, I had to dress warm. I pack my bag, go downstairs for some breakfast (the hotel had Coco Puffs), and then meet Henry’s mother in the lobby to go for our hike. We check out of our hotel, walk to the bus, drive up the mountain, and head towards the lift that will take us to the summit.

The lines we saw were outrageous: masses of people bolting for the ticket booth in hopes of getting in line first. Meanwhile, Henry’s mother is leisurely walking towards the booth to purchase our tickets. We get in line, hop in the lift, and head up towards the peak.

I couldn’t believe what we were seeing. The mountains we saw were unlike anything I had ever seen before. All the mountains I had ever visited in my life were covered with trees, flowers, bushes, etc., but these mountains were colossal pieces of rock. Imagine the Grand Canyon turned inside-out with bonsai trees hanging of the cliffs of the canyon. This scenery stretched for miles and miles, leaving no glance in boredom.

We had to hike along the edge of the mountains to get from scenic area to scenic area, which was not easy, considering the amount of people that were there. We climbed along cliffs, walked through caves, and trudged through cable cars to fully take in all the wonderful views before us. Nonetheless, after 10.5 miles and 7 hours of hiking, we were ready to return to leveled ground.

Naturally, our day was only halfway done. Henry’s mother decided Mrs. Waterman and I needed to try some traditional Chinese food, so I had pig ears for the first time in my life (which I will add to my list of intriguing food I have had in this trip). When that wasn’t enough, she wanted to get a foot massage. Attempting to get into the car and drive home in order to get some sleep, I told her I’m too ticklish to have foot massages - which is true. She proceeded to order a back massage for me. Three hours later we get into the Jeep and make our way home... but we had to stop and look at stars first.

Finally, after dropping Mrs. Waterman off at her apartment, I arrive home at eleven o’clock in the evening. I take the quickest shower known to man, dive into my bed, and fall asleep immediately.

I truly will miss these Sunday excursions with my host family. Henry’s mother has taught me some valuable lessons, one of which being to “Just go”. I feel as though that is an important lesson, for that is how any event is attended, any trip is executed, or any life is experienced. As sad as I am to be leaving China so soon, I’m equally as excited to put into effect all the values I have grown to learn and embrace into my daily life at home. My parents told me I’d come home a changed person - I guess that means I just won’t sleep.

No comments: