WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Friday, March 1, 2013

A Second Home

(Veronica)

After watching each of my cubs climb the threshold back to health, my body’s immune system finally succumbed to whatever sickness could grab the reins. Fortunately, this Mrs. Mallard allowed all of her “acks” to take care of her. Having been bedridden for two days, I was excited to explore Huangshan with what little time we had left. Thankfully, I was able to make the trek up to Mt. Huangshan, the highlight of this leg of the trip, with the group the other day.

Today, after a quick visit to the Xidi village, we made our way to Hangzhou High School. We have all been anticipating this day. Although we got to see many wonderful sights and experience what others might not have the opportunity to do, we were ready for some stability and a place to call home for the next month. Pulling into the tree-lined driveway, we noticed a huge screen set back that read, “Welcome friends of Dover-Sherborn High School to Hangzhou High School”. That sign immediately put a smile on everyone’s faces. As we spilled out the van (seriously), we were met by welcoming smiles and open arms. Once pictures were taken and my cubs were whisked away by their host families, I was brought up to the English office. There, I was shown my cubicle. I repeat – I have a CUBICLE! This shouldn’t be anything too interesting, but I have always wondered what it would be like to have one. Random, huh? After getting acquainted with the space, I was brought to the apartment. Although Chris and Allison, DSMS teachers who participated in this program prior years, told and showed me pictures of it, I was not prepared for what I saw. When I opened the door, I could not believe how spacious the living room and bedroom were. The bedroom opened to a balcony, which provided a nice view of Hangzhou. Off of the living room, across from the bedroom, were the kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom. Each room was completely furnished with every comfort Hangzhou High School could think of.

Even though this is my first night here in Hangzhou, it already feels like home.

Unpacking as I write,
Veronica

12 comments:

Gaesyn Scruton said...

Hi ms.moy it sounds really interesting and fun. WoW it looks like an amazing culture ou there and I amsure you have seen so many amazingthings so far. We just started our next essay and seems to be a lot more fun and a little easier than the first. We all miss you so, so much Ms.Moy, Please enjoy your trip!

Lael M said...

Hi Ms. Moy! We all miss you so much. Our expository essay is going well, and it's definitely easier than the Christmas Carol one. We hope you are having a great time exploring China!

Richie Thompson said...

It sounds like your having a god time! We all miss you here and want you back (not that the sub is bad). All is good for us and we hope your having a good time like it sounds like.

Charlotte Moore said...

Hi,Ms Moy--
Your journey seems to be a blast! It has been very amusing to hear of all of your misfortune, but we all really miss you and your humor. My favorite part of your journey so far is how someone was hospitalized under your responsibility...luckily nothing too bad happened.....I hope that you and the "bears" have good luck for the rest of your trip and experience so many new things while in China! We are so excited to be able to see you when you arrive back to Dover-Sherborn!
From---Charlotte M.

Unknown said...

Hi Ms. Moy! It sounds like you are enjoying your trip very much. The place you're staying in sounds great! I'm almost jealous! Hahah I'm just kidding. It's unfortunate you were feeling under the weather. Get well soon! Have you met any of the kids you are teaching yet? Can't wait for you to comeback! Until then, HAVE FUN! :D!!!!!

Sara Levinson said...

Hi Ms. Moy!! I hope you are enjoying your trip in China.Your trip sounds amazing and really interesting. We are working on our expository essay in class now and it's going really well. Our whole class misses you so so much and want you to come back soon!!

Grace J said...

Hello Ms. Moy! I have been reading the blog and it has been really cool to hear about all the adventures the Bears have been taking. One of my favorites is the most recent post- it was hilarious to learn that you have mastered gangnam style. We all really miss you back here at DS and I hope that you enjoy the rest of your trip! Our latest essay isn't the same without you:)
-Grace

Rachel DaSilva said...

Hi Ms. Moy! I hope you are having a good time in China. It sure sounds like your are. Our class misses you so much and are so excited to see you and hear about your trip when you get back. Have a great rest of your time!
~Rachel DaSilva

Damini said...

Hi Ms. Moy! It sounds like your having a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy your stay and dont get sick again. We all miss you. Have fun!

Cam T said...

hi miss moy. hope you're having a good time in china. We are working on our essays and miss you a lot

bill bobby said...

hey

ms.moy said...

heyyyy!!!!!!!