WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Friday, March 1, 2013

First Official Day of School

(Michael)

Today, was our first official day of school in China and it could not have got better for me. I woke up with legs sore from my pitiful attempt at Tai-Chi the night before, ate breakfast, and walked to school with my host brother with a spring in my step and that feeling you get just before your last game or you type the last sentence of a paper worth half of everything you have worked for. It felt like exhilaration, pure fun, and blunt, throbbing terror that forces what looks like a cocky smile to your lips, a tightening in the chest, and an acute awareness of the depth of the lungs. Its like handing in a test that might be perfect or a complete failure in the eyes of the grader. It was intense and I loved every second of it. 

The feeling came again at various points in the day. It came again just before I had to speak in front of what appeared to be the entire administration of the High School, when I entered my class for the first time and saw one face I had seen before and about fifty that I had not, and when I walked up to a pickup basketball game after school. Thankfully, like a breath of air after swimming a little deeper than was wise, in every situation I was met with an understanding smile and an approving nod or an equivalent welcoming gesture. The headmaster smiled and made a joke, I was applauded by my classmates then completely encircled for questions and the exchange of contact information, and I was put on a team for basketball and was not berated when it was clear that I was worse than useless. Maybe it is a bit facile of me to enjoy what can only be described as popularity, but I will worry about that later.

We have been in China for about two weeks, but today felt like the first day for me. Its an indescribable feeling, waking up in a bed that is both my own and not, eating breakfast with a family, then attending a school, all of a similar nature. I am not trying to say that I have not been made welcome here, but just the opposite; I feel as if I have been taken completely into the fold in every aspect of life that I have attempted, and it is remarkable, unnerving, and deeply touching all at the same time.

No comments: