WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

600 Students Later ... English Class Presentations (plus Spanish Classes Next Week!)

When we first arrived, I was given a desk and told that I could “rest” for the first two weeks and then present to a couple of English classes if I’d like…. Anyone who knows me knows that I’ve been looking forward to getting into Chinese classrooms equally as much as I was looking forward to touring China. Consequently, my response to that idea was “Oh, no! I’d be bored stiff! I’d like to teach any class that teachers will allow.”

The next day, I was handed my schedule for the following two weeks….over 1200 students!!! Last week, I presented to all of the 10th grade English classes. (There are a total of 12 sections so that meant 2 classes each day and four classes on Tuesday. ) With 45-50 students per class that meant I saw almost 600 students over the week. (They, of course, half-way hope/expect that I’ll recognize them afterwards so I’ve ended up saying “Hello” a ton of students walking through the halls or around campus.) The high school uniform is a blue and white jacket so I’ve also recognized and been greeted by students outside of school around town.

The 10th graders have been studying English since elementary school but, as with all language students, their mastery and willingness to take risks and speak varies. My presentations all start with a warm-up activity and some basic information about what we’re going to do during the class. I can usually tell after a few minutes who the more advanced students are, as they are eager to answer questions and volunteer to help me set up the class. As with any class, I try to engage all of the students - primarily through humor and being animated.

They have particularly enjoyed reading and discussing the letters written to them by my 1st year (primarily 6th grade) Spanish students. Unfortunately, as I may have mentioned, the package I sent with most of my classes’ letters in it was “lost” in the mail!!! So I’ve had them all reading the letters from my “A Block” class as I hand-carried that set. It’s a lucky thing that I did or I wouldn’t have had anything for them to read!

After introducing myself, my family, interests and background, I divide them into groups and distribute letters to each of them. They read their letters aloud to their group - sometimes calling upon me or using a dictionary to explain particular phrases. (They know a lot of vocabulary but things like “lacrosse” was new to them and they assumed the New England Patriots were a soccer team since the Chinese refer to soccer as “football” ). Each of them then wrote a short letter to their “pen pal” which I will be giving to my students upon my return.

Tomorrow I start week 2 of classes and I’m scheduled to present to all 12 sections of the 11th grade, one section of 12th graders and three beginning Spanish classes. (Yes…. “Spanish”.) Hangzhou High School added 3 sections of Spanish just this year and the Spanish teacher asked me if I’d like to present to them. I have no idea how much Spanish they know at this point so I’ll be “winging” it. I’ve prepared a short presentation with some of the lyrics to some of our Spanish class songs translated into Chinese. (ex. El Chocolate, El Alfabeto, Los Paises and Los Dias de la Semana.) I hope they enjoy it. I’ll report back in a future blog!

No comments: