WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! » The D-S China Exchange depends on its own fundraising efforts to sustain its existence (hence some ads on this site). To help ensure this invaluable program is still around for future D-S students and teachers, please click here.
COMMENTS » Please feel free respond to blog postings with comments. Note that they are moderated and may take a few hours to appear.
SOCIAL NETWORKING » Blog posts are moderated, so please repost them via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with the link on the post timeline.

NOTE
Get notified of all new postings via Twitter or by email (FOLLOW halfway down right column). You can also SUBSCRIBE to the DS China Exchange YouTube channel, as well as the Google Photos album.

News about Hangzhou and China

News about Hangzhou and China
Pertinent news about Hangzhou and China from the Shanghai Daily

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Xi'an Day 2

Elizabeth (Liz)
Greetings and salutations everyone!

Quote of the Day

        "Quack, quack!"

Day two here in Xian and thank god there is no more rain! Kelby, Iona and I got up around 7:30 and decided to head down to breakfast in order to get ready for our busy day! Our first stop was a Shanxi History Museum, which contained collections of bronze artifacts dating back to the Tang dynasty. Nancy showed us three galleries, all containing various relics such as masks, lamps and statues (one was of a hedgehog!). Very cool! Afterwards we headed over to a park that was recently built that has little fountains on these multiple granite steps and everyday they turn them on to the tune of classical orchestral music creating a splendid little show for all to see. We then headed over to a buffet lunch in order to prepare ourselves to bike on the cities wall.

I was very excited to bike today because I love to bike. Biking was hard and freeing for me today because it reminded me of home and the hours I spend biking near my house but at the same time I felt something growing inside me as I looked down on the new and old city, I felt like I was flying. Even though I was alone the world was there to lift me and support me.

Afterwards we headed to the stone tablets museum which contained a large collection of calligraphy carvings that dated back thousands of years. Its museums like this that really make us realize how young America is in terms of it being a nation and how small our seemingly "superior" country is.

Finally it was time for dinner; dumplings! We were taken to the theatre where we were served these fancy looking dumplings hence my video. Afterwards Mrs. Waterman and I stayed to watch a tang dynasty dance production. It was so cool! There was this one dance that was meant to mimic the 12 armed goddess and I think my jaw dropped, it was just the coolest.

That's all for now!

1 comment:

Leo Racine said...

Thanks for the info, Liz, and your reflection! There's something positive to be said for being in an older country, it seems! Your little duck video was cute.
Mrs. Waterman's dad